How to Access Dental Care


It is important that all individuals are registered with a dentist and they have regular check ups. This applies whether they have their own teeth or not. The dentist can inspect teeth, gums and soft tissues and also refer to a specialist if required. A dentist can also help devise a tailored oral care plan.


Routine Dental Access

To find out which local practices offer NHS treatment, you can contact a dentist near you. Alternatively you can call NHS 111 (helpline).

Emergency Dental Access

call-111-when-it-is-less-urgent-than-999You may need urgent treatment if you have:

  • Toothache or swelling that suggests an infection of a tooth or gum
  • Severe toothache or facial pain which is not controlled by taking over-the-counter painkillers
  • Trauma of the face, mouth or teeth after a recent accident or injury
  • Permanent tooth has been knocked out
  • Bleeding after tooth extraction that you cannot control
  • Serious swelling of the mouth or face which is getting worse [1]

In this case it is best to contact your local dentist who will have dedicated emergency appointments. If an individual is not registered with a dentist then Urgent care can be offered by calling NHS 111. This also applies to out of hours care.

Home Visits/Domiciliary Care

Home visits/domiciliary care is usually provided by the community dental service. Individuals will usually be able to visit a general dentist, however for those who cannot be taken to a dental practice, domiciliary care is available.